Bulk uploading or adding many users at once rather than doing it manually one at a time is possible in the system. You must be a super admin, admin or manager to bulk upload. However, you need to consider several things in order to do this.
Limitations of OnePassport Bulk Uploading
- You can only upload certain number of people from across your organisation (that includes your branches if you have any and all people type like employees, workers and volunteers) depending on the subscription plan you have availed. For example, you have chosen the Medium plan which limits number of users to 99. You cannot upload more than this number in this case. However, should you wish to add more people, you can upgrade your plan.
- A maximum of 1000 records can be uploaded at any one time. Therefore, if you've got more than 1000 to upload, you need to create separate files for each batch and upload them one after another.
- You need to create a separate sheet for the different types of people in your organisation. As an example, a specific spreadsheet is necessary to prepare for your employees, one for your workers and one for volunteers.
- The onboarding feature of the system only checks the first sheet on the excel file. Multiple sheets will be ignored.
Creating your Spreadsheet
Prepare your spreadsheet ensuring that the template for Staff Bulk Upload is followed. You can download the attached sample. Confirm that the top line of the spreadsheet has the titles of the fields you want included. The system has the default fields for the titles as presented in the template. The headings shaded in red (First Name, Last Name, Email. DOB, Address Line 1, Town/Suburb, State, Post Code, Country, Mobile, Job Role, Employment Type and Join Date) are considered to be the important fields, hence, must be completed. The rest are optional (Gender and Employee ID from the sample below).
Person Type or the Department is essential when you have categorised your people based on this. To put your people in the correct department, you must provide this information then.
Here are some important things to keep in mind when creating your spreadsheet: Please see above image for sample file.
- Preferably use the format DD MMM YYYY for the date of birth. Though the system still accepts 01/02/1990 (dd/mm/yyyy) format.
- Fill the Job role and employment type columns with the values applicable in your organisation.
- The system is accepting the format 456788908 for mobile/phone numbers.
- Department is equivalent to Person Type (people categorisation) in the OnePassport System.
Download the Onboarding-Bulk Upload template at the end of this article.
Step 1: Click the Comply icon from your Dashboard with the name of your organisation under it.
Step 2: Your screen will open for your Comply Dashboard. Click Onboarding.
Step 3: Click the plus button and proceed.
Step 4: Click the Onboarding Bulk Upload tab from the navigation bar on the left.
Note: Read the important information.
Choose file to upload then click the Upload button.
Step 5: Your screen will appear like below to do the mapping process.
This is where you ‘Map’ the fields. A list of Headings will appear in 2 columns.
Work your way down the list mapping the fields that pull information from the excel to the OnePassport system.
Note that the required fields are: First name, Last name, Email, DOB, Mobile number, Job role, Employment type, Join date, Address Line 1, Town/Suburb/, State, Post Code and Country. You cannot proceed to the next step if you are not able to select and map these required fields. System will notify you of the failed mapping.
*The Department from your sheet is equivalent to Person Type in the matching process.
Once you have matched the fields click upload and the import will commence.
Step 6: It will take time for the system to validate the information. It is advised to wait for at least 10 seconds before hitting the Upload button.
The system will detect if you have put any information that is in unacceptable format. It will turn red to notify you that you need to change it so you can proceed with the bulk uploading. When you hover your mouse over the information that is in red, a message will pop up like Invalid email address, Invalid phone number format and Invalid Data.
Just in case you have uploaded the wrong format of Email, Date of Birth, Join Date or mobile number, you can edit the information straight away without changing your spreadsheet. Simply click and update that specific record. The information in red will turn into green once corrected as shown in the below image.
From our sample above, the Gender and Job role seems to be invalid. You can edit these by clicking and choosing from the drop down.
Once you are able to change it, the information will turn from red into green.
Step 7: Considering everything is okay with your spreadsheet, you need to verify at the Organisation field that the name of the organisation or branch where you wanted the list to appear is shown.
Likewise, you confirm the category and type of people. Should you have different types of people (department) it is advised to select "Use Type column based on uploaded excel.
When done, click the Looks Good and Upload button.